One of the most fascinating and unique creatures of all creation is the common hummingbird. What is the probability that all of the unique characteristics of the ruby-throated hummingbird, each of which are needed for its survival, developed by some step-by-step evolutionary process?
A few of the hummingbird’s incredible abilities are listed below:
- The unique ability to fly forward, backward, upside-down, and straight up like a helicopter as no other bird can.
- The use of a special fringed tongue to sweep insects out from the inside of flowers. It cannot survive on nectar alone, but also needs the protein from eating insects. Without its special tongue it could never catch the insects.
- The ability to fly 500 miles nonstop over the gulf waters to Mexico. The hummingbird can conserve its strength for long flights by taking a prolonged rest just prior to the flight and making every motion count in flight..
- The ability to go into a “torpid” condition at night by almost shutting down its metabolism. Because of its incredibly high energy activity, gram for gram the hummingbird has the greatest energy output of any warm-blooded animal. Yet at night it uses only about one-fifth of its normal energy.
The hummingbird is truly a marvel of God’s creativity. 1
“Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered…”Psalm 105:4-5
References and Notes
- Kleiss, Richard L.; Kleiss, Tina. A Closer Look at the Evidence. Search for the Truth publications. Kindle Edition.